Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Year Boards & Priorities

So yes, after nearly half a decade of lobbying and pestering and being an irritating old man; I have given up.

Yes, you did not hear me wrong, I have given up. I have given up and decided to take matters into my own hands. Sometimes, some things, some people just don't get it and you just gotta do it yourself. You might be forgiven for wondering why I sound kinda irritated. Well, that's because I am. And somewhat disappointed too.  If you ask me; if one cannot complete a 1-hr job in a span of 1 year, then it says plenty about one's priorities.

Yes, one might argue about priorities and etcetera, but I believe I have explained the rational and significance so much so I am sick of hearing myself repeat it. And its not like no one agrees with me. Everyone agrees; yet no action is taken. So who's priorities are we kidding? Mine? Your's? Or the club's?

And yes, since we are on the point of priorities, allow me to add. No, I am not questioning your rights to determine the priorities for the club, more like I'm wondering if you are indeed basing your priorities based on club's interests or your own or your exco's. During the early days of the club, there was literally no difference between the club's or exco's interests. Because the club had nothing, anything and everything beneficial was an interest of the club. But as time passes, more and more legacy is acquired, but newer and newer excos choose to continue on their path of maximizing their interests over the club's and that is where the line starts to diverge. I am not denying that even though the paths diverge, it is not for the benefit of the club. It is; but is it the most effective and efficient way?

Yes, obviously the most efficient way from point A to B is a straight line; and if you are the first to carve out that path, you get to put your name on it. Great! So what happens if you are second? Or third? Or fourth? Do you create alternative paths to B to call your own? Well, clearly it depends on your priorities. Given a fixed amount of effort, one will probably get more mileage out of building on top of an existing infrastructure than building something from scratch. So am I denying the rights to new ideas? No! But have existing ideas been maximized? No! So you might be mistaken that I am trying to put the blame of this phenomenon on someone; but that is not the intention. I don't blame anyone. It is only natural for this to happen because it is inherent in the way we work. When we work, we want to maximize our benefit by maximizing the benefit of the organization we are working for; but when push come to shove, our benefit will always comes first. However, no one realizes that by putting the benefit of the organization first, we will automatically maximize our own benefit.

Yes! The whole point of this complex mental and literary exercise is to make us wonder, are we doing something because it is in the club's best interests? Or are we just selfish pricks trying to make ourselves look good? Don't be the selfish prick, ya?

Finally! Now all we need are some spotlights... *cough cough*
I am magnanimous. If you choose not to do your year boards, I will kindly do them for you.
Hopefully, this will provide some additional motivation...