Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Day in a News Photographer's Life

Chen Wei Lian


For those who don't know who he is, he is Kelvin Tan Wei Lian, the first Project Superstar winner in 2005. He was often seen basking at MRT stations, and I have heard the man himself. He's so good that I decided to put some money in his guitar case myself.

After openly exclaiming my hatred for boring assignments to my Photo Editor, I was assigned to a few press conferences to cover. (I literally went, "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! DONT GIVE ME PROFILE SHOOTS ANYMORE!!) Firstly, it was Lady Gaga. But to my dismay, her press conference clashed with Nanyang Chronicle's welcome tea ceremony, so we didn't go. Big big big big big mistake. Sob sob sob.

Then Thursday was the Keane press conference, and yesterday, was Kelvin Tan's press conference for his new album.

Well, personally I prefer smaller press conferences like these. Members of the press- among which hail from various papers from SPH, Razor TV, Omy- some magazine reporters, and not to forget campus papers like mine, were all squeezed in a space as small as my bedroom. But the atmosphere was cosy. We were housed in a cafe called Casualpoet in Chinatown, and it felt nothing more than a few friends getting together for a gathering.

Comparing with Keane (sorry Shruthi!! Don't kill me!!), I didn't get much photo opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy a bigger venue in a nice hotel with excellent service (and food), but photo call [this is the time when photographers get a free reign of our flashes and spam our shutters, and if time allows, may ask them to pose] was limited to a mere few minutes while Keane stood like three sticks on stage. (Again, Shruthi, do not hate me. Still friends right?) I was glad I managed to get a shot with all 3 of them looking into my camera, because they were so many photographers there and they could only scan the group in that precious few minutes. But I wasn't quite pleased with my photos. Darned.

However, yesterday I had a hell of a time. At first, I was wondering how to go about shooting Kelvin Tan.

I've never shot a blind guy before. Obviously, you can't do "look here look into my camera". Neither can you say "look out of the window and imagine a bus passing by outside". But when my writer and I walked in Casualpoet, everything just fell in place for me. Because the venue of press conference was a little more casual, I felt comfortable moving away stuff that was blocking my way, and I stood arm against arm with a fellow photographer (big guy from SPH). No pressure there. No jostling. Everything's good.

Yes. You did read the word "jostling". It happens often enough. As a girl of height 166cm, sometimes I have to fight big blokes who also want the cash shot, standing in the front row of an opening ceremony. You push me, I push you back. All happening while trying to keep your camera steady in your hands.

Anyway, I got my cash shot (which, I can't post until it's published but the above one is similar enough) and the rest of the time is for food and drinks. Hahaha. My favourite part. Me and my writer had to wait around for the 1-on-1, so we also fooled around while I taught her some photography techniques.

FB_FOC0549
That's me...

export _FOC0556
That's my writer trying to apply what she learnt...

export _FOC0566
And that's a piece of paper stuck to the window...


For you writers and photo enthusiasts out there passionate about journalism.... Do consider joining NTU Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information. It is after all, one of the best journalism and media school in Asia.