Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Pilgrimage to Kranji War Memorial

As a prelude to to the upcoming LO-FI project, I thought it might be good to show you some of my recent dabblings in LO-FI photography. In any case, since they are not colour photos, they would not be eligible for the exhibition anyways.

I have always mentioned from time to time that I have always wanted to go to the Kranji War Memorial to shoot, but most of the time people brush me off as a lil crazy as its super far. So this time I'm gonna prove to you that it is a place of interest worth the effort travelling to. But then again, please don't bring 20 photogers there and disturb the peace and serenity of the area.

I also want to prove to all you new generation photographers that film is not dead. There is very unique feel the film imparts to your photos; maybe its the wide exposure latitude or perhaps its the grain and tonality that imparts it an "old world" look. Whatever the reason, it surely still is worth the effort to shoot film.

And lastly, my inspiration for this set of works comes from the imaginary "Wu Xiao Kang" whose set of work caused quite a bit of stir when it was first posted online and when the truth came out later on. For those of you who remember the incident, you would know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't, then I maybe one day I shall have the opportunity to show them to you. Regardless of the circumstances, the works themselves were indeed good and thought provoking and hence inspired me to carry out my latest project in a similar fashion. Except that I used 3 rolls instead of 1. Next time I'll shoot a perfect roll...

The following set of photos you are going to see was shot on 3 rolls of black and white film, 2 of which was developed in coffee; Nescafe if you really wanted to know.. All 3 rolls were developed entirely by myself; from shoot to scan.

I would like to start off with the following introduction,

"I was waiting for a ISO 200, 1/250 kind of day..."