Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I DUN WANNA BE AN OLD BIRD!!

Roughly 2 years ago, I participated in Camp Aperture as a member. Approximately 1 year ago, I helped to conduct Camp Exposure. 4 days ago, I saw the closing of CAM(P)ERA as an alumni. This made me see the long way (relative to myself) I've came in photography.

I entered the club 2 years ago knowing literally next to nothing about photography. You may as well speak Spanish to me than to tell me about things such as ISO, aperture and white balance. But slowly throughout my time in Photography > MJC, I went from a zero to, well, not so much of a hero, but at least i knew my basics as a photographer.

I just want to tell the new faces in the club (I hope you people visit this blog) that the only way to improve on your photography skills is to shoot, Shoot, and SHOOT again. Even if you are shooting the same subject over and over again, don't stop until you've got the shot you are satisfied with by playing around with the settings. Believe me when i say that good photos are rare (but I do admit that Photoshop helps A LOT!). It might be due to my picky-ness, but there has been times when only 10% of the original count are left after i finish filtering through my photos. Then again, good lenses and bodies help too! I used to use a 350D and 18-55mm f3.5-5.6! Now you people have all the L's! There's that fisheye and I even heard that there's a 24mm f1.4L! 0.0

With that said, I must still emphasise that it is the man/woman behind the camera that really counts. You could have the most expensive equipment out there, but without practice, someone with a kit lens could produce better photos than you. So grab every opportunity that the exco offers to you, such as covering of events, outings, etc. If you think that that's not enough, go for a stroll at a nice place with your camera around your neck. You will never know what to expect.

That's all I can think of right now, so all the best to you photogers out there, and for those who wanna run for exco, good luck! And to the 10/11 batch, CONGRATS and GOOD JOB for successfully carrying out CAM(P)ERA!

Photography > MJC has found a place in my heart, I hope it will find one in yours too. PHOTOG!

P.S. If you j1's who cant match my name to my face, I'm that botak NS guy in a black shirt with camera prints in the first photo of 'Random shots of CAM(P)ERA' by quent.

-Cheng Boon (09/10 batch)