Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Different Light

Heyhey, it's me the Grouch again!! =D
I think the blog is way too quiet and I was hoping some cute posts might miraculously pop up written by me dear dear juniors who happen to be all rushing for OP. So nehmind nehmind, the Grouch shall post something...

A Different Light
By Grouch Chan.

In The Same Light
(Photo by Mel)


This photo shows that one single rock has its own charisma. So attractive that two photographers have to squat down, angle their heads in the same exact angle and position just to picture this one charismatic rock. (And yes, we were using the same camera, he was at 14mm and I was at 15mm. Just maybe different film that's all.)

Did the photo turn out the same way?

I'm not really sure. I wasn't even aware that something like that actually happened until when I actually stumbled onto this photo weeks back when I was sorting out the Perth photos.

Remember I mentioned photography is storytelling with a purpose?

You realise at an event of say 5 photographers, more often than not a bulk of the photographers would take the photos from a certain angle or from a certain distance from the stage/performers/wadever's-happening. You want to tell a story, but most probably you don't want to tell a story that has been repeated and repeated again. It's boring.

This happens at almost every event. People take picture of the same thing, and after looking at it for the 3rd time, the viewers get turned off. What we want is a wholesome coverage of the event, not just focus on the performance alone. Sometimes, we might want to include the audience response, sometimes you might just wanna up the glam factor by capturing the spot lights on them as well. Just browse through some of the wedding portfolios on Clubsnap and you might understand what I meant.

Could it have been the same for you? Try thinking of capturing something in a different light. (I cant find the pics argh argh argh *breathe in breath out*
and if you need some explaining why people choose Nikon over Canon, read Joho's comments here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235746&page=11 because it doesn't really matter...)

Always think out of the box on how you want your end product to look like. It could be crazy, but TRY IT!

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the term "chee howe shang shen" which refers to a photographer shooting very close to a subject even in the case of a performance just to get the shot he wants. I'm not saying you can do, but you could always try, ya?
(don't get the performers pissed though... but I think the other photographers will be even more pissed by you being in their frame >50% of the time so please also don't always hog a spot...)

Yah anyway, I'm very tired after all my ramblings and failed attempts of finding that one very nice frame by somebody on Clubsnap, bottom line is, try shooting everything in a different way. Because looking at a photo that had been shot a thousand times by others is boring.