Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blazing the Trail

Xing Quan and I were invited to participate in YOG creative retreat today. In today's session we had to brainstorm for ideas for the opening ceremony, and it was really an engaging session for me. As a media student, it's only instinct for me to take one step back and observe. Today I was given the push forward to engage myself in the discussion and contribute ideas. This is the closest I have ever gotten to see the works of a big national event, and it is the first meaningful thing I've done in my vacation (which started yesterday, btw.)

The tagline for YOG 2010 is "Blazing the Trail". The session started off by asking us to think about what this phrase means to us. As apathetic I can really be (I'm usually not interested in sports) I have never taken note of any YOG happenings. Which also meant, I have never thought of what "Blazing the Trail" could really meant.

It just took me 2 seconds to realise what it means when I really thought about it.

I took me by surprise how 3 words can encompass so many ideas, and "Blazing the Trail" reminds me a lot of our very own Meridian JC Photography Club. Which is why I'm posting this here. Haha.

Speed.
Passion.
Setting an example for others.
Being ahead of times.
Prudent.
Bright future.

Singapore is small, but we blaze the trail in the world stage. We go into unchartered waters, and we brave the storms.

Boy, does that remind me of Photog.

Remembering the days we used to be small, the lowest member count we ever had was 9 people and 4 of which were in EXCO. Eager, excited and passionate to go, we dreamt of ideas which we didn't sit around waiting for it to happen, we dreamt of ideas which we really want to see ourselves in that position one day. We wanted things so badly we fought and fell out with each other. 3 years ago, the club was unappreciated, unrecognised, disunited.

3 years down the road, the Photog Dream is coming true. I can safely say we're the only JC Photog that has our own studio, and I proudly advocate that Photography > MJC is the best in Singapore (JB and some say Batam). We are recognised both internally and externally for our efforts, the club is getting more affluent and capable of involving all its 26 or more members, Alumni sailing off into unchartered waters, some finding a foothold in the photography industry. We're going places.

Not only that, we're completely different from the rest. We're not different because we're smarter. We're different because we dared to dream. We dream, we did everything we had to do for our future to be bright. Not solely for ourselves, but for the future generations. We broke the status quo and tried different things. It didn't just take us wits, it also took some bravery. Perhaps you're acquainted with that feeling when you have to organise your own Prom Nite on-site printing project. You really want to do it for the club (and not just because PPC asked you to do it) but you've never done it before. Feeling jittery holding the camera, being watched like a hawk eyes his prey. And then you take the leap.

Photog has blazed the trail in MJC. We were small but we've done it. I really look forward to the day when the legacy of MJC Photography resonates through the whole of Singapore.

Blaze the trail people, dare to dream.

---


And then all were in time for a beautiful sunset.