Friday, June 5, 2009

On NUS Montage Challenge Shield

As a MJC Photography Club secretary (cum treasurer cum saikang warrior), I've spent hours and hours of hard work into making some presentation, some poster, some exhibition.... taking thousands of event pictures that eventually end up in the archived CDs sitting in Mr Tee's office. My parents were often grumpy about me having to spend all my nights on seemingly bo liao (senseless) photog stuff instead of doing homework or revising for tomorrow's test.

My parents have never seen any of my photographs that were exhibited in school, and they have always thought photography to be something you can't earn a living with. I'm sure some of you have parents who think the same way too. But when things started paying off- Eagles Award, my close shave at winning a photo-blogging competition (I got grand prize, whoohoo!), subsequently getting the Service Award in recognition of my service to the school- then did my parents finally realise my passion for photography goes more than just a hobby.

The only exhibited work they've seen is the one of a feather that hangs in my living room (to this day most people thought that I bought it from Ikea I should really autograph that picture man), and when they were invited to College Day 2008, then did they finally had the chance to see my works hung up on the same morning by the Alumni top brass at the canteen. The Singapore Exhibition, which some of you might still remember, to inaugurate the Alumni Society of MJC Photography. The glint in their eyes..... told me all I needed to know.

I remember last year I was at NUS attending the Montage 2008 Seminar. Similarly, we've won the School Challenge Shield. Kingston and I were there to support Yong En, Mumtaz and Vanessa, whose works were exhibited. Most importantly, I was there to see us win the competition.

Like most seniors, I complain about how our juniors seem to be so.... hmmm.... silly. (Haha, this reminds me fondly of the video King Chee and I recorded.) But when I saw how good our pictures were, and that we won the School Challenge, I felt as if I was my dad and mom looking at my pictures. I was so proud and excited that I looked almost silly.

When PPC came down with the load of prizes and the shield, King and I scrambled to clean the shield of the sweaty palm prints. Without hesitating, King grabbed the front of his t-shirt and HAAAARRRR breathed on the shield to wipe it clean.

I think the effort put in by each and everyone of you to submit a photo is really commendable. Thank you for doing yourself and the school proud. Hope to see you guys at the Seminar tomorrow at Suntec!