Friday, December 11, 2009

My thoughts for 2009 Promo Nite Photo Shoot

First of all, my heartfelt congratulations to the 09/10 exco (Shruthi and Co.) for raising the bar once again... :-)

As usual, we end the night (rather morning) with a celebratory supper (or breakfast). This time round, Elliot, Zhenghui, Angeline and Chin Chye (08/09 exco + the auxiliary member) joined us too. When Gillian announced the approximate revenue (it was approximate as 3 rounds of counting yielded 3 different amounts) to us. Some from the 09/10 exco joyfully proclaimed that they broke the record and were somewhat more successful. Of course all these were said in good nature. :-) And at that point, I made it a point to share with the 09/10 exco that the ones who were successful was really the 08/09 exco.

It really wasn't meant to be lip service.

It not for what the previous exco had achieved, would we (the next batch) have knew what was possible?

And this is where I must thank the 08/09 exco for they have in their own ways made the path easier for the juniors to walk in... the improved printing manual, the 2008 prom nite proposal, coming back for the few days prior to the prom nite to advise the junior...

However there will come a day when the bar might not raise any further... it could be due to a plethora of reasons... 20 people, 1 buy, 19 scanned etc... But does that really matter? I guess not.

I remembered that the takings was going rather slow before the dinner commenced, slower than the previous year and I was a bit worried. Not so much about the amount that we will eventually raised but whether would the 09/10 exco feel discouraged. Hmmm... but being a believer of the theology of 'the process is more important than the results', why should I even be feeling this way? Maybe my conviction is not that strong after all..

But something that I saw that night encouraged me and reminded me that what ever I do as a teacher, what really matter are the students... what are the deep lessons that they have learnt... how their lives are impacted (for the better of course).

So want to hazard a guess what I saw that night???




It was seeing the 08/09 exco + Chin Chye sitting together at the same table...

Maybe I am interpolating beyond what is reasonable... but to me it was a beautiful sight.

This exco has gotten quite a bit of stick from me for their seemingly lack of technical competency (as compared to the seniors) and they were grossly unappreciated for the strengths. Till now, they will remember me for my scoldings and Elliot has a recent nightmare which involved me.

But they stuck to each other and covered for one another.

At this point I must also give special mention to Chin Chye. Though Chin Chye was not an exco member but he threw in his lot with the exco. He was there with them in all their major projects, playing an important role with his technical expertise.

Therefore to see them seated at the same table really gave me a sense of joy.

Ha... maybe its because I am a relational person. But what's the point of gaining the whole world and have no one else to share the world with.

So to the 09/10 exco, do cherish the last 4-5 months of your office... It will be gone in a twinkling of an eye. It will be tough but I believe deep friendships will be forged during this time. Don't believe, look at the 08/09 exco.... If still don't believe, look at the upcoming Photog Cohesion organised by Quentin and Cherish.

PPC