Saturday, September 6, 2008

Be considerate, give up your seat la!

I know this has nothing to do with photography, nor the club, but I hope by posting it here more people will be aware of this social problem.

Do you take the train frequently?
I do. I take the train to school everyday, and every single day without fail, there will be youngsters hogging the Priority Seats despite having an elderly standing right in front of them. This is unbearable. Usually during peak hours everyone would be fighting for a seat, and this includes me because my trip is all the way to Boon Lay. But let us not forget to have some civic mindedness and consideration for others.


photo: mypaper.sg


Look at this picture. This old man is standing in the train, apparently looking kinda tired. The two kids and the lady sitting in the priority seat have failed to give up their seats for a man who needs it more than them.

A relief teacher said that when she told the kids in her class to give up their seats to people who need it more (such as pregnant women, elderly, disabled) the kids kept asking "Why? Why do I have to?"

This is a very serious social problem and it happens everyday. Just today, I gave up my seat twice in the MRT. The mother sitting beside me was in the priority seat. She didn't give up her seat for an old man carrying a toddler, and she only told her kids to let the seat to the uncle when I stood up within minutes I sat down. My mother, on the other hand, have always given up her seat without asking me to do so, although I rightfully ought to do it instead. She has made an excellent example for me, and today I wish to pass on this good habit by doing the same for others.

The education system here needs a revamp. The parents having spent increasingly less time with their children due to work have displaced this responsibility of education their young about civic mindedness. And the schools have failed to teach their students how to become a better person. A person who is very good in his area of academics does not necessarily make him a person with a good character.

Singaporeans love to criticize themselves and often wait for OTHERS to take the initiative. However, us as youngsters, the future leaders of Singapore ought to take the lead. Take the initiative and make Singapore a better place to live in.

Be considerate. Give up your seat for a person who needs it more today.