Thursday, September 11, 2008

We're Human First, Photographer Second

Click here to read JoHo's article titled "From a Photographer's Heart".

I read this article some time back already, but this got me thinking too.

The most satisfying form of photography doesn't just stop at just taking a good image. I've been shooting for more than 2 years now, but I have hardly thought about why I have such a great passion for photography.

Fortunately for myself, I found the reason recently. After returning from my cousin's wedding in the suburbs of KL, I started the tedious work of post processing. After sieving out the photos from my blasted D40, I imported everything into LR and started editing. Because my desktop PC is down, I couldn't proceed with the scanning of the photos that I took on my FM2. Despite the poor technical quality of the photos produced from my D40, there was much pleasure in the post processing.

There is almost something magical in a good photo. Looking at it in Photoshop/ Lightroom doesn't make me sleepy at all the wee bit even late into the night. So there I go, editing the photos from the wedding in LR, and I exported the set from my D40 onto my Facebook account. My cousin, who was all the way in Malaysia, sent her compliments (through Facebook) on my photos and she found it impressive.

Although I thought the photos were so-so only, but the most important part was about it making a difference in others. It truly reflect MJC Photog's club motto "Your Moments, Our Calling". MY calling, in this case, as I produced a set of photos that were truly memorable for both myself and my cousin.

Then it hit me why I have this certain liking for taking portraits. I often ask people I know to stand at certain places so that I can get a good shot of them, not only to capture the moment in time, but really the beauty of the person, enhanced by the surrounding elements. It gives me immense satisfaction to take a good photo of family and friends whom I love and treasure, making their moments mine.

It is only when you're human to relate to the situation of the event, the mood, the ambience to take good photos which will make an impact on the subject him/herself, and in the future, even your clients.

This is where I truly agree with JoHo's statement- "We're humans first, photographers second."


image26 copy small
At least, I know someone's happy looking at this picture.

Booby Hair
Though it doesn't look like it, I had to take a long time to get her in the correct place for me.

Suerya with the Delicious Strawberry
What a million dollar shot.

Vicky
Our darling Vicky wanted to hang herself when I asked her to stand in the middle of a busy walkway. I'm glad it was worth it.

Under the Moonlight
All I want to do is to find a way back into love.

DSC_0007 copy1
Smoking is bad for health and it gives you dirty heads.

amanda and terrence-11
I dunno dunno dunno dunno


P.S. Eh sorry King I can't find that old photo of you! Hahaha!