Monday, February 9, 2009

Love Is Raining Like Cats & Dogs In Here

Okay, so here goes what I think is my first ever solo post on the blog. Embarrassing, yes, but somehow I feel this is a perfect time for me to write something. In fact, I think that fate is so humorous at times - choosing someone like me to account for this experience. Here it goes.

My personal story begins 10 years back. If you need a visual of me, just imagine Golem from Lord of the Rings except much cuter. An innocent looking boy of a good height among his peers. Off course, this post isn't about me. It has to do with where I come from.

Number 10, Mount Vernon Road.
Ever since I was young, the SPCA has always been close to me. It was next to my school and I had to walk by it everyday just to get to the bus stop which would signal my journey home. From time to time, I would walk in and look at the dogs. I was afraid of cats (until the day my best friend adopted a cat and I was forced to like them but that's a story best saved for when I'm old in a rocking chair and trying my best to entertain my grandchildren.) You could say that the SPCA was a place which I was familiar with.

But that made me take what it stood for for granted. More on this later.

My first ever pet was adopted from the SPCA. Sadly, that pet is gone now. She was a beautiful Siberian Husky and I loved her so. Sure, she was stubborn at times but she had the child-like innocence which made me love her so much. Needless to say, having her around was like drugs - it was plain difficult to be sad when she was around. When she left me, it really did hurt like mad.
I realised though that, even though I was sad in that moment, the moments of joy I shared with my lovely Husky were moments forever cherished.

As time drifted by, the heartache subsided and life went on as per normal. That was until Quentin embarked on his SPCA project which sought of woke me up again. The impact wasn't full blown at that time yet. It was only till Mr. Cheng told our exco that it was time to bring the SPCA project further, and off course with the beautiful hearts of Shirleen, Vanessa, Angeline, Mumtaz, Vicky, Zheng Hui, Chin Chye and all the other photographers who contributed to this project, that it awoke this feeling inside of me.

The feeling that the SPCA did stand for a greater good here. They were giving a voice to animals whom could not speak directly to us humans. They were providing a temporary home to these lives which searched for loving protection. They were nurturing life where life was previously abandoned. If anyone did that for another human, they would be called saints. And this made me realise that the SPCA could use our help.

I'm glad that after months of hard work placed in by the people mentioned in this post, that the exhibition is finally live in Pasir Ris NLB. The only hope I have for this exhibition, if it fails to do anything else, at least it can touch the lives of the people who read it so that they themselves can be moved to feel some love for the animals. It's not that hard to love an animal whom only wants your companionship (and some food, water, shelter and a nice walk).

Whenever I think of my long-gone dog and see that panting face in my mind, it's almost as if I can hear her barking at me. Yet, the words that I hear, not by her words but actions, tell me:

"Thank you for loving me"

And even as a guy, I admit, sometimes I cry.
So show your support by coming down to Pasir Ris NLB located in White Sands Shopping Mall from 9th to 15th of February. The exhibition will be up during the libraries opening hours. It's located on the 4th floor of the shopping center.

On behalf of the 08'-09' exco, we thank everyone who has given support for this project and would specially like to thank those who have gone out of their way to view the exhibition. We hope the pictures move you as much as it did to us. Loving doesn't just happen on special days like these - loving lasts a lifetime.

This is my part of my SPCA Love Story. God Bless.

Signing off,
Elliot Lucas Marcell Tan (my name doesn't really end here, I do it for simplicity sake)