Monday, February 16, 2009

Photography Withdrawal Syndrome

I think I am sick. Down with a serious illness. I don't know when it hit me but I am feeling the syndromes ever since this morning. I hope there is a quick cure cos I don't know how long more I can hold. I think it could be the stress piling upon my busy schedule and many commitments. But I need a fix quick  ! 


Yes, I am down with Photography Withdrawal Syndrome. Lets leave the details of the syndrome to the doctors but all I know is that I have been framing images I am seeing with my eyes all day. I see a window, I start drawing lines to frame it. I see a corner of a table, I shift my eyes so that I can frame it on the power point according to the famous Rule-of-Third ( for those who are clueless about what is Rule-of-Third check this out -Link- . I see a small ant crawling by, I quickly defocuse my eye so that my eyes can go macro and focus on the ant. It is as though the view through my cornea is like this:

 
 
 
 Let me guess. How did all this happen ? Why did I contract a illness so rarely heard of ? It could be because I have not been shooting lately. Well Monday to Friday working at a "Zoo" taking care of bunch of monkeys leaving the weekends to do things that I need to do like driving, birthday parties, helping with the house keeping and recovering from the abuse accumulated from the weekdays. No wonder I have not been in touch with my camera. I think its coming from its dry box to haunt me now. Sorry S3IS ! I would very much go out with you but I really had no time. ( If u don't know who S3IS is, U better check this out, its a long story...). I think my eyes are begining to mimic the familiar view that it have seen through my camera. It is as though it is taking its own subotex
in place of the heroin.
 

Arh I can't stand it any longer ! Its driving me crazy ! All this are happening sub-consciously in my mind. It is not that I don't enjoy it but this is absurb. I am rip of my rights to see the world properly. I love the world cos the world is awesome. But the syndrome is constricting my vision to a mere peek down the tunnel like viewfinder. It could have been a full-frame viewfinder but still, I am blinded at the sides. Even if I am shooting, I would have not been very comfortable cos when I shoot, I want to see real life in the viewfinder and not the artificial image on the EVF or a reflection through the lens. I want to be able to keep an eye on what is happening outside the viewfinder frame and what is happening around me. It is then I can capture the decisive moment instead of taking a good picture by chance. I want to be at the heart of action.

I want to be there to shoot. I want my audience to be where I shoot. I want him to feel that he is at the exact same spot where I was seeing what I saw or at least what I want him to see. Thats why I can't stand this withdrawal syndrome. The camera can restrict its  vision but I can't be restricting my own. I need to be in the situation to be able to capture the atmosphere. I need to know my situation so that I can anticipate what's going to happen and be ready to shoot when it comes. 



Lets hope I get better soon. Meanwhile, I think I need a walk with my beloved S3 IS. So see ya 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------