Saturday, May 24, 2008




Bejeweled heart
I found you sitting, stoned, on the ground outside the abandoned hospital
Bits and pieces missing but still in one piece
The heat was oppressive, yet there you sat, soaking it in with ease
Fake gems whiter than snow and redder than the reddest apple
Not quiet whole yet not quite broken apart

It is hot, but I am trembling from the sheer eeriness of the place
Everyone with a camera has figuratively shot you to death
But I don’t want to be just someone who looked down upon you,
Beheld your temporary beauty from above
Then strode away for another picture-worthy scene

In my eyes a shutter clicks, then I realize, thy hidden beauty is pristine
Bejeweled heart, you are almost an epitome of love
There was a time when he said I love you, and she said I love you too
But that era has passed, as is the hospital that has gone into almost eternal rest
The missing pieces in you make you look like a half-disfigured face

There are many hearts sprayed across the walls
Blue, red, and even black
Some scrawled in childish infatuation, some with unabashed wantonness
And yet bejeweled heart, in you there is some uniqueness
Which I, unlike the rest, must deal with some tact
I know not what brought about your fall
To the ground

The shutter clicks and the image stays in my mind
Like you will stay on at the place you were left in
A relic
Of the past, of the time when you once gleamed, fake gems and all
I must leave you where I found you
It is not right to harbour a broken heart in my pocket
Bejeweled heart or not.

-by Melissa, a.k.a. Booby Hair