Monday, May 3, 2010

Perfection

Today, I went to the Camera Hospital to fixed an old Seagull TLR which belongs to my mum. It was recently dug out from my storeroom to the delight of my mother.


When I first step into the workshop, I was greeted by this man sitting behind this table full of camera parts. He totally look like he is creating a Frankenstein monster. Taking out my TLR, I explain that I need to get it fixed.


The first question after listening what needs to be done to my poor TLR, he asked a very simple question: How much does the camera meant to you ?


Such a simple question, but it really set me thinking really hard on that spot. The TLR to me was just a TLR to allow me to try out medium format cameras, however I believe it meant a lot to my mum. It was the first and only camera she owned then and it was the camera she enjoyed photography on. To me, that meant a lot.


I went on to talk to Steven, the 'Doctor' of the hospital, he told me the reason he like to work with cameras is that they are never perfect and everyday is a discovery. To him, perfection was the tip of the iceberg where there is nothing else to achieve, nothing left for him to discover. He loved his cameras they are, even though I think he has like thousands of them.


His words led me to reflect what Photography is about for me. Is it the thrill of using a kick-ass camera ? Is it the attention I got from chicks when I was shooting ? Or maybe its the satisfaction I got from raining down on Juniors with the uber-geeky-ness (I don't know if this word even exist, JS help me double check) of Photography?


I realized not, although I got to admit its a little bit of all those. Photography is a form of expression for me, sad to say the only way that I could really express myself. I wasn't born an artist, neither am I now. I could not draw for shit(although I am trying to learn now) and have to practice for art lessons. I am not good with words both in written and in verbal.( Well it is evident from this post which my friends have to proof read for me for grammar mistakes). Photography was left the only few options that I had of to express myself. A perception of what I see & feel. It is that moment in time which I can freeze it in that medium in my hands which I can go back to. That is what Photography was about for me.


Often what we see and feel is never perfect, it is this imperfections in our little life that led us to constant self-discovery. Not a perfect weather to shoot, you never what you would have missed out. Have something unexpected that came into your scene when you took your shot and you decide to delete it, look closer ;)


Look closer ;)


All this little imperfection in life are the ones that people will remember. If everything was perfect, life will be as boring as PANTONE 7543M.(Go check photoshop if you do not know what it is). This post will then tie in well with the theme of our up coming Alumni Exhibition- "Editing Required". You do not need to aim for perfection cos editing is required :) Shoot as you feel like it, show like you meant it. Express yourself :) 


I leave you now to think what are the little things in life that matters to you. Meanwhile, I will carry on to enjoy my cup of coffee while listening to great music while surfing the web while editing photos while drawing T-shirt designs for my camp while writing this post. Arhh Abba is up next !