Friday, July 18, 2008

16/July Outing and SPCA Speech

Hello! This is a belated post on the outing on Wednesday.

It started at Orchard, and we completed the route successfully, walking all the way to Dhoby Ghaut by 6.40pm. Joanna, Phoebe, Sharon and Hilma left halfway, but the rest of us triumphantly completed it! That is, Aida, Benjamin, Huiyu, Karishma, Humairah, Syaz, me and Zhenghui.

I think the outing went quite well, t'was the first outing me and Zhenghui led! I was actually quite nervous and, to be honest, scared, because I'm well aware that I'm not that technically strong photography-wise but I tried my best to pass on all the new things learnt during the alumni-organised DLO.

Luckily for us, the weather was really fine, and ZhengHui took really nice shots of Wheelock place. I think it was good for the members to have the chance to apply all learnt in meetings together, and there are some things that one can only realize one does not know about until one tries...

Plus, it was quite cute to find out the different styles of taking photos... Like Joanna seems more decisive and ardently seeks new subject matters, whereas Phoebe takes photos with more leisure. Huiyu wasn't really sure about using Aperture Priority mode, but I'm really proud of her because by the end of the outing she could manipulate the camera with better proficiency.

Hmmm... We got chased off by quite a few vendors for trying to take photos. I can't remember what I was trying to take, but I remember getting chased away, and Huiyu saying 'Wah, you very cool leh! Like no reaction one.' Haha... guess I'm immune to it already. ;)

Also, it turned out to be quite a history session! We chanced upon Emerald Hill Road, with all the nicenice old lowrise buildings; quite anachronistic and reminiscent of Joo Chiat, IMO. Apparently, in 1819 the forest was cleared there for fuel, turned into a nutmeg plantation that failed, and then turned into a residential district that was subsequently declared as an area conserved for its architectural heritage... Karishma took quite a nice close-up shot of the tile work, which we saw during the mini-sharing session.

After we moved on, we discovered the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, in a building that looks like a Chinese temple! It was quite cool, cause the building is called the House of Tan Yeok Nee. He was apparently a tycoon... I ventured in with Huiyu, and Benjamin and Zhenghui + Karishma came in too.

A security guard materialised, but before he had the chance to chase us out, I asked him (quite bimbotically I must admit), "Is this a university?"

"Uh... ya."
"Oh cool! Cause we thought it was a temple! It's really nice. Uhm, how long has this been opened ah?"
"Oh it has been open from 2000 years..."

When he said that I was abit Huh? I thought Singapore only 47 years old.

"...around 8 years."

Haha, the security uncle v. cute + friendly.

We moved on from there, and though Fort Canning park was just 5 minutes away, it was too late and it was a unanimous minus one decision to head home after going through the quite... small... Istana Park.

Halfway through we found out new ways to spice up outings and I do so think I learnt some stuff, not in the photography sense though. Man, for some weird reason I couldn't bring myself to take anything, I didn't know it was possible to be 'Not in the mood' for taking photos! Told ZhengHui that I needed a shot of the F-Stop Blues.

You know, I had a nightmare!! I think it was last night or something, but I dreamt I went into the clubroom, and it was dark and very dusty. Elliot turned to me from the computer, and said, "Vicky, most left, only got about four members remaining."

I was shocked and v. v. v. intensely crestfallen. I said, "Then how?"

"They're going to close down the photog club."

I woke up then, and had that strange sensation whereby I subconsciously knew it wasn't the truth, but consciously believed it.

Okay ok this is totally irrelevant.

Uhm yes, the outing ended off with a PHOTOG! (wildly exaggerated volume) coupled with fist in air (mostly halfhearted). Good times, good times.

On to SPCA! I think the rest covered it quite a bit already, I'll just post here the 2min12sec speech I said on Wednesday here:


A picture speaks a thousand words.
What began as a simple desire to use photographs to raise awareness for the SPCA, unexpectedly resulted in a journey. A six month long journey whereby each photographer developed a deep attachment to the project, and a sincere hope to make a difference.
The CIP project was conceptualised in December last year, the photo essay aimed to highlight the realities of animal welfare in Singapore.
As you have seen in the presentation, the number of abandoned animals is unsettling, yet it is still on the rise.
The SPCA was enthusiastic in having photographers tagging along to capture their daily routines and events.
Throughout this project, we got to know the organisation, the volunteers, and the animals.
One of the stories was that of Handsome and Boy, abandoned by owners due to their skin disease.
Although quite a number of dogs do get adopted, some such as Handsome and Boy, stay as long as three years.
The SPCA conducts educational events about twice a month, such as dog walking in Bishan.
They also host school visits to the shelter. In fact, they are fully booked until August.
The SPCA plays an impactful role in spreading awareness for pet welfare. However, it is never enough.
Almost every morning, the SPCA finds an abandoned animal at their doorstep.
Almost every day, they are called out to collect animals reported of abuse.
As shown in the presentation, 80% of the animals at SPCA are put to sleep.
The most ironic and painful thing is that the people who become vets for the very love of animals, are the ones responsible for putting them to sleep.
In the next two days, there will be a booth selling SPCA merchandise.
All proceeds go to the maintenance and running of the shelter, and we hope that you will support the SPCA.
In conjunction with this, we’ll also be exhibiting a photo essay on HRSS, the House Rabbits Society of Singapore.
To end off, despite how one might think oneself unable to physically help these animals, one may do so… just by remembering.

The J2s really did an amazing job for this project, and the best thing was the cause. If only they could have had the chance to present it, for having had experienced it first hand, the sincerity would have been better conveyed. :)

Sorry for the loong entries and frequent subjection to my stream of conscious, I'm kinda used to typing long entries when blogging, heh...

Cheers,
Vicky.