Thursday, March 26, 2009

Before the room beside the art room

Before I go and tear in my sleep, let me give you guys a brief history of the room.

For the really old birds like me, we all experience this kind of shifting once before. We were like the new J1 ones now, happy to get a spanking new room. To be fair, the school already did us justice by giving us that room. Our oldest room was at where perkcafe is currently standing now. There is where the first batch of MJC Photographers were born. Imagine all of you people in perkcafe, even without the equipments, you will be left with not even standing space left alone sit.

When I was new happy J1, we were totally disgusted with the room. The small cramped space, the messy working table and the dumping ground of waste printing paper underneath the working table. But I could see from my seniors then, they loved the room. They also practically eat sleep live in that room like we do. I think I can even recall a canteen plate on the table in the room.

Then it was time to shift house. We were overjoyed but our seniors from the look on their faces, I know they were reluctant. They were sad to leave the room. They probably had fighting spiders experience in there. They probably missed the old stinky smell that is now replaced by ice creams. They probably found perfect sleeping corners in the room to take a nap. But there is only one word on their face:sad.

But we had to do what we had to do. We vacate the room in one day and shift everything to the new room beside the art room which was a stall. I din even realize it was there until then. As a matter of fact it is really a store room. We dump many art pieces and useless stuff and put in our stuff. We scrub and clean happily the dirty room, happy that we have a new room but I doubt none were on our seniors faces.

The study room used to be a art room. I dont know why we have a art room cause none of us take art but then the whole room is ours. All for our own use. We din even have the glass panel then. So no one will know what monkey business we did in there. It was so spacious, the whole orientation could be held there.

As days of times passed on, that became our room. A place in the school we could call home. Stinky dry boxes, floors that never seems to be clean, work benches that were always messy despite being cleared 2 min ago. All these became part of the beloved room we loved. Then we pass it on to our juniors Eunice and gang whom I think also had a similar if not better time in the room.Then we left the school.

2 years of army gave me little time to do my own things left alone come back to MJC. But, whenever i was back I would check if the door was locked( which was the case most of the time), if not I would pop in my head . But the new juniors dont know me then and I was left with weird looks. When I was officially back as alumni, i told Jun Sen that the first thing I want to do is to jump into the room and take a long deep breath of the smell so familiar.

Now, I guess that is gone too. We begin a new chapter of MJC Photog in a new room. A room that is bigger and better for our future generations. A room in which the new J1 will learn to grow fond of. A room where they had to fight their own spiders. A room which they have developed a weird smell in.
A room in which they will eat sleep and practically live in. Isn't all this going to be all too familiar?

I realize now, its not the room we missed. Its the memories that we had in the room that we missed. And may these memories live on..........