Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Photography Club in 2006

Most of you probably didn't know how it was when I was a J1... How exciting...

BOOKING EQUIPMENT
Our two level dry box had the following: (semi pros not counted)
2 Nikon D100
3 15-30mm
1 24-124mm VR
2 28-135mm
1 70-200
3 SB-800.

We had:
40 J2 members
10 J1 members.

Every event:
2 official photographers only.

Before Benjamin and Hou Teck's gang stepped down, for every event, Benjamin had to pack our bags for us and we would collect them on Wednesdays. We didn't have the liberty of choosing what we wanted, most probably because the other senior booked the lens and you get the other available one, or because the other photographer needed that lens more than you did. When I was a junior, I pretty much didn't get to choose what lens I wanted. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't need to shoot with an A1. (Bet you don't know how to use that cam! Lols.)

After they stepped down, due to the lack of manpower, we got to shoot a lot a lot despite the equipment shortage.
However, we are always fighting for the 70-200 or the VR lens, but mostly the telephoto lens. And we only had ONE. So most of the time, we adopted a booking system... which went like this...

OCTOBER 2006
Eunice:"Hey King, next year Orientation I want shoot hor! Pres (our QM), I shooting! I book the D100!"
Chee:"I ALSO WANNA SHOOT! I ALSO BOOK D100!"

LATER THAT MONTH
Eunice:"Remember I want shoot Orientation hor! Pres, I want 70-200 and VR lens!"
Chee:"Eh I also want leh!"

NOVEMBER 2006
Chee:"Why dont we share the lens? We alternate la."

And the debate about sharing lens will go on until before the real event starts...
rah rah rah...


PREPARING FOR EXHIBITION
We only had:
1 exhibition.
60 exhibits.

This is how we print; under Junsen's excellent training-
"eh, why my photo so purple one."
"we go outside see."
"still a bit purple. reprint."

"eh, here got dust spec leh. reprint please."

"this photo is [mounted] slightly sengeh. please reprint."

Junsen:"Look at this lousy HP paper! *TEARS* IT DOESNT SUCK INK! *pokes paper non stop with pen* THROW! USE IT TO DO MATH OR SOMETHING!"

Sometimes...
"WHA! BENDING! REPRINT REPRINT!"
After reprinting...
"WHA! STILL HAVE AH! PRINT AGAIN LA!"

And on one occasion...
The photos were nicely laid out on the table waiting to be dried when Junsen walks in...
Picks up paper...
"WHAT IS THIS?! WHY LIDDAT?"
Chee:"no time to reprint already la! can la! no one will notice one...!"

and they both ended up having a shouting match OVER the photos, spraying saliva all over... If you pick out photo salon 2006 photos to see, some of them have mysterious looking spots on them. And they are definitely not dust specs.

Now I can hardly keep up with the equipment we have... We even have 18-55 IS neh! HAHAHAHAHA...